- Interest in non-drug pain management options (possible push from Joint Commission’s standard if med center has a pain management program)
- Interest in integrative medical therapies
- Has had patients request Integrative Medicine (IM) therapies, particularly acupuncture, and is interested in bringing related staff on-board as employees to help fill the need and patient requests
- Is interested in a PCMH model that incorporates IM
- The state’s interpretation of the Affordable Health Care Act includes insurance coverage of acupuncture as practiced by L.Ac.s [affordable health care act post/worker’s comp coverage of acupuncture post]
- Great need (or interest) in medical center for non-drug treatment option such as acupuncture that decreases ER return rates, inpatient hospital stay length, and surgery recovery statistics [see Allina example of incorporating EAMPs/L.Ac.s in the ER]
- Request to hire one L.Ac., in her area of hospital. For example, the hospital sponsor is main provider at a OB clinic and wants to add an L.Ac. to her staff.
- Request to hire multiple L.Ac.s as part of a creation of a specific Integrative Medicine (IM) clinic or healthcare system-wide creation of IM clinics, such as for pain management and/or IM rehabilitation clinics
IM = integrative medicine
PCMH = patient-centered medical home
L.Ac./EAMP = state license titles for Acupuncturist. "Licensed Acupuncturist (L.Ac.)" and "East Asian Medicine Practitioner (EAMP)". Most common state title is L.Ac.