The Hospital Practice Handbook Project Interview Series: Paths to Practice
Focus on Dr. Annie Budhathoki
|Dr. Annie Budhathoki
We started that program on the oncology floor, working with symptoms like nausea or constipation or ir-retractable vomiting. [Any] symptoms that would keep a patient in the hospital and extend their stays and prevent them from going home. [Eventually the program] moved into the surgical ward and into other parts of the hospital. But the initial work was symptom-based, treating any issues that would keep a patient in the hospital too long.
|Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal
Book that Annie recommends to everyone reading this article or watching the interview is Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal by Rachel Naomi Remen, MD. This is a gathering of short stories the author compiled as she learned to practice compassion in her oncology practice.
- You can learn more about Dr. Annie Budhathoki’s work, and the programs at The Huntsman Cancer Institute’s Wellness Center website.
- Links to Research work, etc, on Her Program
- There are two acupuncture studies that are in progress that can be viewed at their ClinicalTrials.gov weblinks.
for Integrative Oncology (SIO)
- Community Survey: What Does Success Look Like in An Integrative Oncology Program?
research literacy is an essential skill for acupuncturists working in a
healthcare system. It is listed as one of the “5 ingredients” in the HH
Project resource booklet, Getting
Your Foot in the Door of Hospital-Based Practice: First Steps
- For a list
of research resources for the hospital-based practitioner, go to the appendix
section, page 21, of First
- Also, see
these blog posts and articles on the topic:
Literacy Basics: Practical Applications for the Hospital-based
Integrative Medicine Researcher
how to access research articles through your workplace, read this
Roundup—a collection of research citations and community recommendations for the month or season. Several blog posts with this
and acupuncture research citations. In this article’s section, “What is
the goal of integrating acupuncturists at Huntsman?”, Dr. Budhathoki mentions acupuncture as a cost-saving measure in the hospital. Here are some article citations on the subject.
Role in Solving the Opioid Epidemic: Evidence, Cost-Effectiveness, and
Care Availability for Acupuncture as a Primary, Non-Pharmacologic Method
for Pain Relief and Management (Sept 2017)
Historical Perspective of Integrative Health Models in the U.S.
- “Cost Savings from Reducing Pain Through Delivery of Integrative Medicine Program”.
- Citation: JA Dusek, Griffin KH, Finch MD, Rivard RL, Watson D. Cost Savings from Reducing Pain through Delivery of Integrative Medicine Program. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Jun 2018. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2017.0203
- “Cost-Effectiveness of a Team-Based Integrative Medicine Approach to the Treatment of Back Pain.”
- Citation: PM Wayne, Buring JE, Eisenburg DM, Osypiuk K, Gow BJ, Davis RB, Witt CM, Reinhold T. Cost-Effectiveness of a Team-Based Integrative Medicine Approach to the Treatment of Back Pain. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Mar 2019. Ahead of print. http://doi.org/10.1089.2018.0503
- Related tags and search terms in the blog: metrics, research literacy
|OverDrive and Libby
- Reflective Readings to Inspire Your Day
- Reflecting on Leadership
- The Healthcare Provider or Graduate Medical Student
- The Integrative Medicine Researcher
Our Hospital Admin (Hospital Sponsors)
- Learning about Mindfulness-are you appreciating the present moment?
- Lunchtime Listen Recommendations
- Health and Wellness Learning with Children
- More at the Gift Ideas and Resources webpage
or Prospective Practitioner
- Purchase the short course (pdf of this blogpost, transcript and video access)
- Short courses have space for discussion
- Buy the pdf of the article and transcript via the website
- Support operating costs for a day via the website or buy me a few carafes of coffee
- Encourage your organization or alma mater to contact me via the website [contact page] to sponsor an episode or an interview series.