Acupuncture in Oncology
Review of the "Research and Metrics Thursdays" theme from the public Facebook Page and newsletter with focus on Oncology
This is a work in progress
- Please feel free to add in the comments more articles and resources you recommend on acupuncture, TCM, and integrative health in oncology (integrative oncology). As of this writing, there is more research on this topic than I can sort through.
- If you have an acupuncture oncology learning resource to share, please submit it to our Hospital Practice Learning Opportunities Directory. Thank you.
- starting August 2019, the community survey: How Do You Define Success in an Integrative Oncology Program?
- New webpage from the Advocate Aurora Integrative Health program in oncology (program)
- research--oncology and insomnia. New paper from Memorial Sloan-Kettering on insomnia in cancer patients
- Both cognitive behavioral therapy and acupuncture had clinical effectiveness in treating severity of insomnia and had sustained benefits for 20 weeks. It was the first comparative effectiveness study for this clinical research query.
- Sheila N Garland, Sharon X Xie, Kate DuHamel, Ting Bao, Qing Li, Frances K Barg, Sarah Song, Philip Kantoff, Philip Gehrman, Jun J Mao, Acupuncture Versus Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Clinical Trial, JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. https://academic.oup.com/jnci/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/jnci/djz050/5426666
- Integrative Survivorship programs for life after cancer (program)
- "Implementing an Integrative Survivorship Program at a Comprehensive Cancer Center: A Multimodal Approach to Life After Cancer”, is a JACM free-access article. The study: “describes the development of an integrative survivorship program at an urban National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center with three closely linked components: a Survivorship Clinic with dedicated staff, a network of Support Services including Wellness, and an Integrative Medicine Program.”
- Integrative health providers included in this program noted as: nutritionist and acupuncturist. Integrative health programs included: yoga, mindfulness, Healing Touch, and Reiki, and psychosocial oncology.
- February 2019 National Cancer Institute (NCI) and National Institute of Health (NIH) conference, "The National Cancer Institute NIH Report" by Dr. Jennifer Stone, published in Meridians: Journal of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (now the Journal of American Society of Acupuncturists).
Related Community Survey
- How Do You Define Success in an Integrative Oncology Program?
- At this time a large % of acupuncturists working in hospitals are working in oncology programs.
- Goal: learn about the current standards and metrics for integrative oncology programs, focus on the work of licensed acupuncturists
- How will this info be used?
- Continue discussion in the community about the following topics: using metrics in clinical care, finding relevant metrics for your work, how integrative oncology programs are being set up, maintained, and grown
- when enough information, I will publish a blogpost summary
- follow up interview potential about specific programs for those interested in participating, part of the "issues in hospital practice" community webinar/interview series. Go to this post for more about this special Project series.
- The Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine Free Online Cancer Care Toolkit
- Intended for patients working with their oncology providers. Has information on integrative health therapies, including nutrition and movement for cancer care programs.
- Podcast interview: "Integrative Oncology is a Clinically Proven Approach--Here's to Hoping That News Gets Out to Payers and Patients, with Glenn Sabin of FON Consulting"
- Book to buy or find in your local library: Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal by Rachel Naomi Remen, MD.
- follow the tag/label in this blog for "research literacy"
Monthly research summary blogposts
- April Research Roundup
- March Research Roundup
- February Research Roundup
- January Research Roundup
- December Research Roundup
Subscribe to our email list for the latest updates and follow us
for "research and metrics Thursdays" on the public Facebook Page.
You can support this community-wisdom-sharing work by
buying me a coffee or sponsoring a newsletter via our website. Thank you.