Who: John Burns, DPT, MSOM, Manager of Acupuncture at Aurora Health Care, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
|Dr. Burns with his poster at the AIHM conference. #AIHM18|
photo credit Megan Gale
- The Study
- The Program
- Acupuncture reduced acute pain. In the study, patients who received acupuncture reported 50% pain relief (average)
- Acupuncture reduced symptoms of nausea by about 60%
- Acupuncture in the ED setting is feasible
- Reproduce the ED project in Milwaukee, WI, in next year with different patient demographics
- Track whether availability of acupuncture in the ED reduces opioid prescriptions
- Follow up with patients who receive acupuncture in the ED at an outpatient clinic. No follow up with the patients was performed for this pilot program due to study limitations. They found that "following discharge from the ED, less than 2% received acupuncture services within 30 days." Assumptions about why this may be: patient choice, lack of reimbursement, even though outpatient services were available at the West Allis site.
- email: email@example.com
- program website: https://www.aurorahealthcare.org/services/integrative-medicine/acupuncture
- Video from Wisconsin TV station, Fox6Now.
- October 10th, 2018. “’It’s great to have alternative’: Aurora West Allis offering acupuncture in the emergency room” by LeeAnn Watson and Mary Stoker Smith
- Medscape article
- “Acupuncture in the ED Cuts Pain, Reduces Stress, Anxiety” by Pauline Anderson. Nov. 12th, 2018.
- Tick H, Nielsen A, Pelletier KR, et al. Evidence-Based Nonpharmacological Strategies for Comprehensive Pain Care. The Consortium Pain Task Force White Paper. 2018. DOI: .
- Adam S. Reinstein, Lauren O. Erickson, Kristen H. Griffin, Rachael L. Rivard, Christopher E. Kapsner, Michael D. Finch, Jeffery A. Dusek; Acceptability, Adaptation, and Clinical Outcomes of Acupuncture Provided in the Emergency Department: A Retrospective Pilot Study, Pain Medicine, Volume 18, Issue 1, 1 January 2017, Pages 169–178,
- The Directory of Hospital-based Learning Opportunities for Acupuncturists or the website version of this directory
- Consortium Pain Task Force White Paper and the Moving Beyond Medications infographic
- Interview with Aurora acupuncturist Steven Mui on the tai chi offered in their healthcare system.